[Savannah-hackers] Re: lshd failure (week old reply)

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: lshd failure (week old reply)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 15:06:19 +0200

Niels Möller writes:
 > address@hidden writes:
 >
 > >    I'll try to search for a core the next time it happens. Any
 > > idea where the core would be ? If you know that already that would
 > > help, otherwise I'll try to find out. I realize that I don't know what
 > > is the working directory of lshd.
 >
 > If you run lshd in --daemon (as I believe you do), its working
 > directory is /. But to get a core file you also need to
 >
 >  * add the --enable-core flag on the command line (cores are disabled
 >    by default, for security)
 >
 >  * make sure there's no ulimit restriction on core files.

        I did that. And added a reminder
https://savannah.gnu.org/pm/task.php?func=detailtask&project_task_id=160&group_id=11&group_project_id=1
        to put the ulimit back to 0 in a month.

 > If edit the startup script appropriately at least there will be some
 > more evidence if it crashes again.
 >
 > Other things that might help, but probably aren't practical unless you
 > can reproduce the crash quickly are: Running lshd with more logging,
 > at least -v, probably also --debug and --trace (but output from
 > --debug option should be treated with care, it contains all packets
 > (except userauth packets) in clear text). Or running lshd in gdb.

        Since I can't reproduce the problem I'm not too much in favor
of this. I won't be able to monitor all this too closely in the next week.
If someone wants to do it, I'm all for it ;-)

        Thanks a lot for your help,