Re: [Savannah-hackers] Why is Savannah not multilingual ?

From: Odile Bénassy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Why is Savannah not multilingual ?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:48:13 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> Odile =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E9nassy?= writes:
>  > The question is in the subject line.
>  > Sourceforge is multilingual, so ?
>  >
>  > Loic told me you've already discussed on this issue, please tell me
>  > where I can read the archives if this is an option
>
>         The conclusion I had Savannah-wise is that it's a big and
> hard job to get things internationalized. Unlike web pages you can't
> really afford to have incorrect translation of menus entries for instance
> or it will be very confusing and potentialy dangerous.
>
>         Activating the multilingual option in the code is possible but
> the existing entries should be translated and checked everywhere first.

yes, and then I(we) have to know where we can find these entries.
Is gettexet doing that job too ?

Further, there is more than one level for i18n : anonymous user,
logged-in user, admin, savannah-hacker...
At first we only need the first level (anon user). Is there a way for
disciminating those levels ?

Yet Sourceforge is multilingual. Do you feel they have bad translations
?

--
Odile Bénassy
~ ~ ~