[Savannah-hackers] Re: Telling VA Linux about the Savannah move

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Telling VA Linux about the Savannah move
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:46:30 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:
 > It seems to me that maybe we should tell VA Linux about the plan to
 > move Savannah before we actually switch over, as a sort of courtesy.

        VA Linux is not informed of the exact date of the move which
is a mistake I did. They are informed that the move is about to happen
though.

 > Is it possible to delay the switchover a few days and not do
 > it Sunday?

        Technically speaking we are only moving data from one machine
to another and changing names. We are not stoping the old machine, it
will be used for different purposes after a week or two, when we are
sure we don't need to turn back for some reason.

        The initial plan was to physically replace the machine. Since
it was changed into adding a new machine to the pool of machines of the
GNU project, I think it's less critical to inform VA Linux of the
exact moment of the switchover.

        In my opinion delaying the switch will be a major
inconvenience. All people registered on savannah (~700) were informed
of the switchover. I've been preparing for today switch during the
past week and I have two full days to watch it, check that everything
is running properly and fix mistakes. I won't be able to block 2 full
days in the next three weeks.

        In short I'm very relunctant to postpone the switchover and
I sincerly think VA Linux won't be mad at us because they were not
aware of the exact date of the switchover.

        Cheers,