Re: [Savannah-hackers] Trying to add/commit to CVS

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Trying to add/commit to CVS
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 03:23:52 +0200

Odile Bénassy a écrit :

> Here is what I've been trying :
>
> --
> $  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/webcvs checkout
> education
>  -> works fine

Anonymous read-only checkout

> $  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/webcvs add
> education/fr
>         cvs add: in directory .:
>         cvs [add aborted]: there is no version here; do 'cvs checkout' first
> --

Write attempt as anonymous : wrong ;)

Using bad syntax with adding a two-levels directory specification :
wrong ;)

> 1) It seems to me CVS doesn't know on which module I'm trying to add
> 'fr' subdir, so how should I tell it ?

Now, you found the solution (see below) by yourself.

> 2) I'm not used to this way of using CVS with -d option, so you would
> help me greatly with a few examples for "commit" as well

Use "export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:/webcvs" at
first time (before a checkout).

Then afterwards, if you're in an already checkout-out directory, just
use "cvs update" for instance, without -d or CVSROOT, and it'll work.

Then, you said :

Odile Bénassy a écrit :

> Well now I've found out I probably had to cd into my own "education"
> directory before doing "cvs add"
> So this time I get :
>
> --
> $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/webcvs add fr
> ? fr/edu-fr.xsl
> ? fr/navigation.fr.xsl
> ? fr/green.css
> ? fr/doc
> ? fr/index.html
> ? fr/txt2xhtml
> ? fr/images
> ? fr/index
> cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository
> --
>
> Maybe I am not allowed to add a subdir or file...
> Please tell me what I should do !

Nope : you're using anoncvs over pserver, and the only things you can do
are checkouts or updates...

To add, remove or commit, you need SSH (CVS_RSH=ssh) and your account
username instead of anoncvs...

Refer to the project's savannah CVS page which explains these settings.

I suggest that you check some docs about CVS (see IDEALX.org which holds
some ;) and/or the docs about CVS/SSH on sourceforge (singe savannah's
docs are a bit light ;).

Tell me if you experience more difficulties.

--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)