Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of w9wm

From: Benjamin Drieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of w9wm
Date: 15 Nov 2001 15:48:14 +0100

Loic Dachary <address@hidden> writes:

>       The proposed project is under a license that is not known to
> me. From what I see it is Free Software but not compatible with the
> GNU GPL. I'm seeking rms advice on what we should do with it.
>
>       Cheers,
>
> P.S. This mail is not so diplomatic since Benjamin Drieu (address@hidden)
> is a friend of mine and very well knows we should be carefull about licensing
> issues ;-)

I do agree that w9wm is not compatible with the GNU GPL, this is why I
did not apply for inclusion in the GNU project.  As far as I know,
Savannah also hosts projects that are not part of the GNU project.  So
projects hosted by Savannah do not have the obligation to be
compatible with the GNU GPL.

The four freedoms are respected by the license of w9wm, although I
agree it has one major flaw : it permits distribution of modified
versions only either as patches or as ``new programs'' with a
different name.  This is also the case with the QPL and some free
software licenses.  I do not see any problem there.

--
o Benjamin Drieu:       address@hidden
                        address@hidden