[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of BRaiLleSPEAK

From: olr
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of BRaiLleSPEAK
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:17:22 -0500

Osvaldo La Rosa <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: BRaiLleSPEAK
System name: brlspeak

My project does provide a simple but blindfriendly method for braille-dependent
users to preconfigure their braille display driver before running Linux.
The distribution that is used here is called BrlSpeak; it has been built by me,
it is an UMSDOS Mini-Distribution of Linux that can be unpacked on a FAT
harddisk, and started with LoadLin.
BrlSpeak is based on another Mini-Distribution called ZipSpeak, made by Matthew
Campbell. (Notice that ZipSpeak was based on the ZipSlack distribution, cf.
Slackware).
The purpose is here to add a full functional and easy to use preconfiguration
tool, in fact a Public batch-file, (provided with the package), so that blind
persons can prepare the configuration file for the braille device before
running BrlSpeak.
But it also includes automated compilation of the braille driver + activation
of the braille display at boot time. (Note that the braille driver package used
here in BrlSpeak, is BrlTty; for speech there is the SpeakUp package built-in.)
The main objective is to offer to braille-dependent people a unique Linux
distribution that they can install, without any external assistance of a valid
person.
I finished to build BrlSpeak on Nov 1, 2001, I posted it on November the 17th,
2001; so, it already exists and you can see it at
http://www.audiobraille.org/blinux/brlspeak.html The download URL is:
http://www.audiobraille.org/blinux/brlspeak.zip
All instructions and details are available in the BRLSPEAK.TXT file that comes
with the BrlSpeak ZIP file.
The BrlSpeak utilities, as well as the CFG.BAT for preconfiguring the braille
device driver, are available in the BRLSPEAK directory.
Installing BrlSpeak is very easy:
you just need an utility such as Infozip\'s UNZIP.EXE to unpack the
BRLSPEAK.ZIP on a FAT partition where you have DOS;
then you enter the LINUX directory, and, after reading the documentation, you
type: CFG \'enter\' and follows all instructions (these are self-explanatory
and you have a \"ready to go\" Linux in a few minutes).
I hope this Mini-Distribution can contribute to a better accessibility (without
special knowledge) to the GNU/Linux OS: it was for me a dream to realize this,
and I\'m proud today to be able to offer this BrlSpeak distribution to the
world.
Greetings,
Osvaldo La Rosa.