[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of New Scripting Languag

From: artem
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of New Scripting Language
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 17:35:41 -0500

Artem V. Andreev <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: New Scripting Language
System name: nsl

The project I am offering to you is called a New Scripting Language (abb. NSL).
Its aim is to provide a flexible, multi-purpose but light-weight script
language with particular accent on multilingual text processing. It uses a
paradigm of finite-state automata to describe complex string transformations
and recognition patterns, so making interencoding translations, locale-specific
case-conversions and collation is easy enough. The language is fully
interpreted, it provides all the features a decent structured language should
have: procedures, control statements, global and local variables and even the
notion of modules. It is flexible and allow attaching extension modules which
might be e.g. wrappers to any system library. One of its distinct features is
that it operates not on plain text (like Perl, awk, tcl etc) but on
HTML/XML-structured streams whose physical layout may be at all different. It
also have some inherent capabilities for CGI programming. It is really
light-weight: its stripped binary should be less than 100k.

It is now hosted on SourceForge (you\'ll find it on http://nsl.sourceforge.net
and http://sourceforge.net/projects/nsl), but I am really definite to quit SF,
since its users are really unwilling to send any feedback (I mean words not
money, of course), so hosting on SF seems to me useless. Hope that GNU-based
community will be more interested...