[Savannah-hackers] diffmon

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] diffmon
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 17:29:30 -0700 (MST)

We now have set up to use CVS to notify people about changes in Emacs.
This is useful for anyone who wants to follow Emacs development in
general.  But we used to use diffmon in another way: to notify people
who maintain specific parts of Emacs about changes in those parts.  We
could configure diffmon to send a person changes in just a certain set
of files.

We don't have that now, and we need it.  The bulk of Emacs changes
will make it quite incovenient for Lisp package maintainers to follow
the occasional change in their files by scanning several messages a
day.  We need a way to send them the changes in the files they care
about and no others.

I see two possible ways to do this:

* Write a filter to look at the messages that are sent, check for a certain
list of files, and generate messages including diffs for those files only.
Perhaps the filter that generates the messages I get could be easily
modified to do this job.

* Set up a checkout on fencepost (or anywhere), have a cron job update
it every hour or two, and run diffmon on it.

If the former method is used, it would be nice to control it with a
table in a file.  Each entry in the table could have a pattern to
match file names, and a list of email addresses for diffs in that
file.

Could someone please get this working, one way or another?