Re: [Savannah-hackers] Need an initially non-public savannah project

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Need an initially non-public savannah project
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 12:29:53 -0500

>  > Should I go through the regular savannah project creation and simply note
>  > this fact?
>  >
>  >
>  > I don't want this particular project to appear on the new projects list,
>  > nor searchable, etc. until I have a chance to set up the code into CVS
>  > properly with correct copyright notices, etc.
>  >
>  >
>  > Can you all tell me the proper procedure for this?

>       You should submit the project and include in the description that
> you don't want it public. We do not offer this as an option to everyone,
> we do it on a case by case basis.

It's very good that you don't offer it to everyone.  In general, we don't
want people putting private projects on savannah.

I need it mostly in cases where someone has approached us about making
some proprietary software into Free Software and assign copyright to the
FSF.  When they do this, we want to make a big announcement, but we want
the licensing stuff in order and properly in CVS before we make the big
announcement.  We want to turn the CVS server on the day we make the
announcement.

(Also, there is the case of private projects for FSF-internal work, which
 we also have.  The difference there is that the projects should never
 "go-public".)

   -- bkuhn