[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Open Peer

From: evertonsm
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Open Peer
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:30:17 -0500

Everton da Silva Marques <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Open Peer
System name: openpeer

The OpenPeer project is yet another peer-to-peer communication
model.

The intended architecture is as much distributed as possible,
while taking advantage of (and therefore relying on) some
centralized but proven technologies like DNS.

Thus, there is no central server in the model. We plan to
widely deploy open standards as well as existing well-known
technologies, instead of reinventing many aspects of
the client-server environment currently used at the Internet.

Initialy, the project is going to be developed as a simple
prototype to demonstrate the concept of the architecture. The
result of this brief work will help in the specification of
the real protocol to be used in the next phase.

While the protocol specification is going to be completely
open for any use, we plan to retain the rights to change it.

Essentialy, the OpenPeer project aims to develop a fully
open glue-protocol to integrate many widespreaded communication
protocols. We expect to produce experimental tools as
side-effect of a brief research. If the prototype generated
by the research behaves as well as we believe it could,
we\'ll have a promising specification of the protocol.
Then, we\'ll start to work on a full-featured implementation
of it.

The project source code and documentation will be released under
full GNU GPL.

It does not exist yet but I\'m working on it.

In fact, the project has two developers who need Savannah
resources in order to start the work on the project.
Specifically, we would benefit from CVS repository for
cooperative work and HTTP facilities to publish the results.