Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Open Peer

From: Everton da Silva Marques
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Open Peer
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 15:56:28 -0300 (ART)

 --- "Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> escreveu: >
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 07:30:17PM -0500,
> address@hidden wrote:
> > A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org.
> > This mail was sent to address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> > Everton da Silva Marques <address@hidden>
> described the package as follows:
> > License: gpl
> > Other License:
> > Package: Open Peer
> > System name: openpeer
> > This package does NOT want to apply for inclusion
> in the GNU project
> > While the protocol specification is going to be
> completely
> > open for any use, we plan to retain the rights to
> change it.
> > The project source code and documentation will be
> released under
> > full GNU GPL.
>
> I don't really understand your plans. How are you
> planning to "retain the
> rights to change the protocol" without making the
> code incompatible with the
> GNU GPL?
> Could you please explain us better what you plan to
> do?

We'd like to control the protocol specification,
not the implementation. I mean, suppose we label
the protocol as P1 and write the corresponding
specification. Of course, anyone could extend P1
(thus generating, P2, P3, etc). The GNU GPL would
govern changes to our code and its redistribution.
No problem with this kind of thing.

What we would like to do is to retain the right to
say "you see, THIS is the specification of P1".
If anyone changes P1, the new specification should
not be labeled P1.

In fact we are not sure if such is possible or
how to enforce it. We'd prefer to protect the
specification from chaotic third-party
modifications, but we're not desperate to
to do so.

Thanks,
Everton

Yahoo! GeoCities
Tenha seu lugar na Web. Construa hoje mesmo sua home page no Yahoo! GeoCities.
É fácil e grátis!
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/