Re: [Savannah-hackers] Curiosity question, low priority

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Curiosity question, low priority
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:24:43 +0100

Bradley M. Kuhn writes:
 > I was just double checking (ok, I am paranoid :) that some of the recent
 > "private" FSF-internal projects I've been setting up were truly private.
 >
 > I found that things were fine.  However, I did find that two of them give
 > different error messages when you try to do anonymous checkouts:
 >
 > > cvs -z3 -d":pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/cr-reg" co .
 > Cannot access /cvsroot/cr-reg/CVSROOT
 > Permission denied
 >
 > vs.
 >
 > > cvs -z3 -d":pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/licensing-qa" co .
 > cvs checkout: authorization failed: server subversions.gnu.org rejected
 > access to /cvsroot/licensing-qa for user anoncvs
 > cvs checkout: used empty password; try "cvs login" with a real password
 >

 > How come they are different?

        Privacy is implemented using the file system permissions,
hence the first message. The second message reflects that CVSROOT for
licensing-qa has a different setup than cr-reg.  When a project is
initialy public (by accident, one may forget this during moderation
and fix it afterwards or because it becomes private after some time)
it keeps the CVSROOT setup it had.

        Technically speaking it means that natively private projects have
no passwd file (hence the licensing-qa message) where natively public projects
have a passwd file (hence the cr-reg message).

        This discrepency has no consequence on the privacy of the
project itself which is enforced by the permission bits at the CVSROOT
(/cvsroot/licensing-qa and /cvsroot/cr-reg).

        Thanks for checking and reporting this. I was not able to say
immediately that it was normal and I had to check, which is good.

        Happy new year !