[Savannah-hackers] rebooting subversions.gnu.org

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] rebooting subversions.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:11:20 +0100

        Hi,

        I rebooted savannah.gnu.org a few times to check that the powerswitch
does the job. And it does ;-)

        However there is a substantial problem. For some reason neither the
bios, nor grub are accessible. The bios throws what is apparently pure garbage
to the console and grub does the same. Only when the kernel starts to boot
does it go back to normal.

        Not interacting with the bios remotely may not be the most urgent
problem although it's a pity to lose this ability. Not interacting with grub
is much more problematic.

        I have no idea why this happens and any input is welcome. The
last time I rebooted subversions.gnu.org (4 month ago) all this was working
but 2 separate events happened in the meantime.

        A) I switched from stable to testing
        B) The console machine was changed

        I checked that grub is operating at 38400bps 8N1, checked that the
tty setup made by cu uses 8N1 and no xon/xoff.

        Cheers,