Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Benedetto

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Benedetto
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 08:58:09 +0000

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 09:12:08AM +0100, Joachim Gabler wrote:

> Benedetto makes use of the swing classes - here we might still have
> problems with free implementations.
> As far as I know there is no complete free implementation of the java
> class hierarchy.
> But this is probably only a matter of time .
>
> I tried the kaffe vm yesterday, but it always dumped core (on linux,
> kernel 2.4.10 and on solaris 2.7).
> Do you have any experience with swing and free java vm implementations?
>
> Benedetto doesn't use any special features like JNI, it just needs a jvm
> 1.2 or higher.
> It is running with the SUN implementations (different 1.2, 1.3 and
> 1.3.1) and the IBM JDK (1.3.1), both worked without any problems.
>
> I hope this issue will not be an exclusion criteria for this project -
> maybe we can define "running with a free Java implementation" as a goal
> for the project.

Sorry, I cannot approve your project as long as it depends on JDK. From what
you described, it looks like you are not using anything particularly specific
about JDK and you should be able to remove the dependency on JDK. But I
can't help you in this matter since I'm very ignorant in Java. I advice you to
get in touch with the developers of the classpath project (GNU's replacement
for JDK): http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/classpath or with the maintainer of
some JVM in Debian.

I hope you don't get discouraged by Savannah's policy. Some people may think
it's too drastic to reject projects because they depend on proprietary
software, but we feel that it has been a very difficult task to finallly have
a complete, absolutely free, operating system (Debian GNU/Linux) and if we do
not protect it from proprietary intrusions, we may end up loosing it.

When you manage to get rid of JDK's dependency, you can resubmit your
project. It is a hassle having to go through all the steps again and
re-writing the project description, but if you did not save a copy of it in a
file, I can send it to you.

Best regards,
Jaime