Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Dynamic Source Ro

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Dynamic Source Routing
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:48:14 +0100

Karthik DK writes:
 > Hi
 >
 > >    I think there is a confusion regarding the license. You selected
 > > GPL but the distribution I found at
 > > ftp://ftp.monarch.cs.cmu.edu/pub/monarch/dsr/dsr-0.02.tar.gz
 > > is under the original BSD license mostly and partly under a license that
 > > is neither the original BSD license nor the modified BSD license, althout
 > > it more resemble the original BSD license than the modified BSD license.
 > >
 > >    Could you please submit the project again clarifying these
 > > points ?
 > >

 > There is an existant implementation of DSR in linux by Alex Song (not
 > complete though). This  implements draft-05 (the current draft is 06).
 > Also, this code is released under GPL.
 >    http://student.uq.edu.au/~s369677/
 > If we do start from some base code, it will be this linux version of DSR
 > (We are currently in the plan phase and are not very sure
 > if we wanna do this from scratch or not) .
 > Also, I just received a mail from one  of the group members of monarch
 > group at CMU that  freebsd code they have is BSD license with constraints
 > that CMU had. As I understand, the  BSD is a broader license than the  GPL
 > and there should not be a problem  using the  code under a BSD license in
 > GPL'ed code. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

        The original BSD license is incompatible with the GNU GPL. The
modified BSD license is compatible with the GNU GPL. The code I saw
was partly under a license that very much resemble the original BSD
license and would therefore be incompatible with the GNU GPL. In addition
Savannah only hosts software released under a license that is compatible
with the GNU GPL, precisely to avoid this kind of problem.

 > Pls suggest a suitable action as I am new to working with savannah.
 > Should I submit the proj again?

        I advise you to figure out the license problems and then to
submit your project again.

        Thanks for your patience,