Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of In Process Web Se

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of In Process Web Server in C
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:08:59 +0000

> Saurav Mohapatra <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: In Process Web Server in C
> System name: ceti
>
> I plan to develop a free open source lightweight in-process Web Server
> Component in C , that can be instantiated and used inside a program. The
> target Platforms are win32 and linux. The inspiration for this project is
> Jetty(http://jetty.mortbay.org/jetty/index.html) which is a Java web server
> that can be used as a in-process as well as a stand alone server.
>
> I plan to implement the project in three phases :
>
> Phase I
> ==========
> a) Win 32 version of the Web Server.
> b) Support for GET command
> c) Definition of Custom URLs based on Handlers. e.g GET /Config might point
> to a Handler Method rather than an actual URL.
> d) baseline support for HTTP/1.0
> Phase II
> ===========
> a) support for POST
> b) Linux Port
> c) Support for HTTP/1.0
>
> Phase III
> =========
> a) Servlet Engine (Tentative)
> b) Installation and Packaging details.
>
> My motivation for this project is that even though there are a lot of free
> open source HTTP Client libraries, there are not many(at least i could not
> find any) HTTP Server Libraries.
>
> The Final shape of the server should be as  a DLL or an so provided with an
> SDK for extending the Handlers.

We can only accept your project here after you reached phase II. And even then
we will have to make sure that the GNU/Linux version does not depend on any
proprietary software.

We only host projects that can be used in a completely Free Software system,
without having to install any proprietary packages. If you can guarantee that,
you can then provide versions for other systems as well (releasing then with a
Free Software license).

The idea is that at no point should free-only users be at disadvantage
compared to users of proprietary software (we don't want to encourage people
to start using proprietary software). Your project should always work equally
well in free systems as in any other versions you provide. If you accept this
commitment, then please register your project again.

Regards,
Jaime