Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of IP Calculator

From: Furter Martin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of IP Calculator
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 02:28:11 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Jaime E. Villate wrote:
> > ipclc is another IP calculator.
> > It allready compiles and runs on Linux.
>
> Pardon my ignorance but, what's an IP calculator?
I'm very sorry. It's my fault, I should have called it
'Internet Protocol Calculator'.

It's at least the third time I wrote a tool like this (because allways
when I needed it, the machine which contained the sourcecode was not
available) and so I thought it would be useful for others too.

ipclc is a commandline Internet Protocol Calculator.
It can calculate the IP address, netmask, broadcast address, CIDR
(IP/bits), IP/netmask and interface name.
The input has to be an IP/netmask or IP/bits or an interface name.
It also can list all interfaces and their information.

Example:
print IP address, netmask and broadcast address:
# ipclc +anb 192.168.1.129/24
192.168.2.129 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.255

print name, ip address and netmask of interface eth0:
# ipclc +anNi eth0'
eth0 192.168.1.129 255.255.255.0

> We would like to take a look at its source code. Please tell us a URL where it
> can be found, or send me a tarball by e-mail.
It can be compiled with the following statement on Linux:
gcc -o ipclc ipclc.c

Perhaps this tool is a bit to small for an own project. I would also be
happy if it could be included in another project which allready contains a
lot of tools.

Regards
Martin