Re: [Savannah-hackers] HTML validation

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] HTML validation
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:54:04 +0000

Hello,

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 05:26:36PM +0100, mathieu wrote:
> I want to get Savannah HTML standard.
Good. I think that's a very urgent task.

> One thing that stinks is the CSS using.
>
> - We should have .css files, that's better than adding css in each files
> - We should use CSS for any style definitions.

I agree. And while you're at it, try to keep CSS to a minimum required. I
think. SourceForge tries to redefine the style of too many tags, which I think
it is not worth it.

> There're many many style definitions included in the HTML code.
> For example, this kind of things tr BGCOLOR="#D1D5D7"
> BACKGROUND="/themes/forged/images/steel3.jpg" align="center"
> are really bad:
> - no use of CSS
> - use of definition as Background that dont exist in HTML 4.x
>
> So, couldn't we add a savannah.css in remplacement of sourceforge.css
> and include it as a
>
>   link rel=stylesheet type="text/css"
> href="http://savannah.gnu.org/savannah.css";
I agree. Please feel free to do it.

> The Sourceforge code is really ugly :(
And you should have seen it before I removed the "Verdana" font from every tag
and removed the cute messy frame that used to be drawn around every page :-)

> I want to make it standard compliant. To do this, I must to rewrite
> many things.
If you have the time to do it, that would be great. I suggest you first get
familiar with the way the on-line pages are updated from the CVS
repository. Any change you make to the global style will affect every page in
Savannah; you want to make sure you can update your changes immediately
after you commit them to the repository, to check that the pages work, and
take any corrective measures if necessary (I will write to you shortly
with more details on how to do that).

Regards,
Jaime