[Savannah-hackers] [Savannah] gvideo want to be a GNU package

From: savannah-hackers
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] [Savannah] gvideo want to be a GNU package
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:46:41 -0500

Hi,

The following project was submitted to Savannah. It needs evaluation to
become a GNU package, can you give it a look, please ?

Submitter: <address@hidden>
Project Full Name:  gvideo
Project System Name:  gvideo
License:  gpl
Approval URL: https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=1653
It aims to be a &quot;content-based retrieval&quot; system for video data.

The GNU Project has a similar project for image, called GIFT.  See that project
for example of a content-based retrieval system.

Note this is not a traditional video database system like a CD catalog
database.  Gvideo will use image and video processing technologies for
processing queries.  Gvideo is not a keyword base system where one associate
keywords with video and allow other people to search using the keywords.

GVideo is not about video encoding or decoding.  It does not intent to develop
new codecs.  It will uses whatever existing codecs are available.  This will be
done via the use of the gstreamer multimedia framework.  Similarly, gvideo does
not mean to be a video editor.

I want gvideo to be partly a research project for video processing.  But that
dimension can be ignored for GNU's purpose, which is about free software. And
gvideo wants to be the leading free software in video retrieval.

It is in the beginning stages and I am in the process of gathering and
evaluating &quot;building blocks&quot; like gstreamer for gvideo.  I will also
borrow whatever technology is useful from GIFT for gvideo.

 -- the Savannah admin