[Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 101225 ] Import bashdb to CVS, please.

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [ 101225 ] Import bashdb to CVS, please.
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:25:53 -0400

Sorry, I must have must have missed your e-mail from Aug 25th where
you thought you set up bashdb in CVS. Inlining your comment at the end
makes it easier to miss what you are reporting. This is was also the
case in your last e-mail. So here I'll try to not inline comments
which in general can lead to confusion.

A test of a CVS checkout probably would have caught the problem. I
suggest this be normal procedure when projects are imported into
CVS. A more general principle is to test work by pretending to be a
consumer and not rely on visual inspection of directories.  My guess
is that a problem was due to the fact that my home machine has more
stringent permissions on the CVSROOT *directories* than can be used on
a public CVS server, "others" can't write. I don't think the problem
was that a lock file existed.

Sure, your backup person can be busy. But that person has failed to
COMMUNICATE:
 - that he/she is busy or
 - that *you* are on vacation, or
 - that things might (therefore) take a little time

Sending status when things are backed-up to let people know where
things stand is very important; it doesn't have to take all that much
time.

There was no reply to my mail on August 28, and I sent mail or thought
I sent e-mail after that indicating that if I didn't hear any status I
was going to move the project to sourceforge. Perhaps this was e-mail
lost; I think I sent it privately or perhaps it was one of the e-mails
you mentioned being lost in the week before Sept 6. in
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/savannah-hackers/2002-September/011062.html