Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: bug in Anon CVS how to

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: bug in Anon CVS how to
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 14:44:41 +0000 (UTC)

   Try using only one '@' in the CVS repository's definition.

My apologies, my mistake.  However, I did use only one '@' in the
other test and that failed.  I just reproduced the problem:

Without a ~/.cvspass file, you cannot log in anonymously.

     $ cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/softfree login
    Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/cvsroot/softfree
    CVS password:
    cvs login: warning: failed to open /home/guest/.cvspass for
    reading: No such file or directory

This is using  Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.2 (client/server)
After I ran

    touch ~/.cvspass

I was able to log in anonymously and download from the CVS repository.

Based on what Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> said, this may be a bug in
this version of CVS.  However, I am sure that many of the
people who will use this particular repository will use this version
of cvs; so people still need to be told how to solve the problem.

I have added to my announcement draft the following words:

    However, it appears that my having to do this is a bug in the
    version of CVS that I am using, and the need should go away when
    CVS is fixed.

You could add this to the anon-cvs.texi file I sent you, too.
(Obviously, that file needs editing.  You might, for example, want to
change the relevant paragraph to read:

    When he used the `guest' account to test these commands, Robert
    J. Chassell found that his version 1.11.2 of CVS needed a
     file.  If none existed, none was created
    automatically.  He created one using the `touch' command.
    However, this problem appears to be a bug in the version of CVS
    that he is using, and the need should go away.