[Savannah-hackers] Re: bug in Anon CVS how to

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: bug in Anon CVS how to
Date: 19 Sep 2002 22:58:37 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> said:

> Each CVS Introduction page contains instructions for Anonymous CVS
> access.  But the instructions contain a bug, at least as tested with a
> two accounts that are not mine.

Please, give us full error message instead of telling us "it does not
work". Dealing with new domain name, the anonymous cvs was not
accessible for a while.

> The `login' requires there be a `~/.cvspass' file.  This is not
> mentioned in the Introduction page documentation.

I never had a .cvspass file on any account on any computer (with
several distros, as RedHat, Debian and Mandrake). Despite
this, I have succesfully, by simply copying and pasting the commands
proposed on the cvs page, downloaded a lot of time projects
CVS. Today, for instance, doing some testes about the domains names.

Advanced commands and usage of CVS is not essential, and Savannah must
not provide this information:
        - it depends on a high level of the CVS-client used
        - people have to learn to use the software they use by the
informations given by software authors. We really do not have the time
to do this and giving too many informations leads people to
confusion.
        - people that come on Savannah that does know how to use the
software does not want to spend 35 hours to understand fully each
tool. They want a simple command to get what they want. People that
understand fully the tools (like CVS) does not read to read 1500 lines
of text, they just want to take a look at the basic informations
(address of the CVS server...).

Savannah user doc should content the less informations as
possible.
Someone that want to download a CVS copy of a project does not want to
learn how to manage ChangeLog via Emacs. People that want to manage
ChangeLog via Emacs should read Emacs help, write to emacs user lists
or forums...

Giving hundred tons of informations is like giving no informations.

--
Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<