[Savannah-hackers] Re: troubles with new Savannah project

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: troubles with new Savannah project
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:42:00 +0000 (UTC)

   > Also, please do not use overly long lines ...

   Hum, ok, I do not get the fact you was talking about the savannah
   documentation page. The most of the content of this page is generated
   to HTML from texinfo.

Isn't all of the Savannah Web site an output from Texinfo source files?

   Textinfo insert (generally @example) <pre> tags that blocks
   natural redimensionning.

   I'm not an expert of texinfo, I do not know how to prevent this.

If this were a a bug in makeinfo, a report should be sent to
address@hidden  This should never happen!

However, in this case, the text on the sample page that I sent you,

    http://savannah.gnu.org/docs/admin.php

is not supposed to be in a <pre> environment.  Certainly, it does not
look like it is in such a format.  You can look at the text and see
that it should be within <p> ... </p> tags (in Texinfo, between blank
lines).  Moreover,

    > .... When you display the page in a window that is wider than
    > 1154 pixels, it resizes properly.

Again, you should never get resizing in a <pre> environment, since
<pre> is supposed to preserve text as written.

Please, figure out whether this a bug in `makeinfo'; if not, it is a
bug in the source.  Either way, the bug needs to be fixed.

   > Note that many of the pages on Savannah do display properly so long as
   > you display them in a window with a width that is wider than a much
   > smaller mimimum value than 1150 pixels.  In the case of the main
   > Savannah page, the mimimum width is 600 pixels.

   You are right. I tried. In my case, it's ok unless the width is
   smaller than 400px, but I use small font size.

I agree.  The current minimum widths are good enough and other things
are more important.

It particular, it is important to provide more information to Savannah
Project administrators.  In a separate message, I describe how to do
that and include the beginnings of a Texinfo file that could be used,
developed out of the current FAQ,

--
    Robert J. Chassell            address@hidden  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises       http://www.rattlesnake.com