[Savannah-hackers] submission of Zoomable Visual Transformation Machine

From: epietrig
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Zoomable Visual Transformation Machine - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 07:28:53 -0400

Emmanuel Pietriga <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: lgpl
Other License:
Package: Zoomable Visual Transformation Machine
System name: zvtm
Type: non-GNU

I would like to open a new project on the nongnu side of Savannah. This project
will be the continuation of the already existing XVTM (Xerox Visual
Transformation Machine), which is already distributed by Xerox under an LGPL
license.

I designed and implemented this library while working for Xerox and MIT/W3C. I
will leave Xerox at the end of September 2002, and since I will continue to
develop XVTM (I am going back to MIT where I will resume working for W3C), I
need to be able to easily share the new code and also to allow other people to
contribute code (the library is already used by 3rd parties ; for instance a
university in Sweden).

I have already discussed this with my Xerox manager, and he agrees with me that
this is the best way to proceed. So the idea is to launch a new project based
on the XVTM. As I said, XVTM is already distributed by Xerox under LGPL. The
new project hosted by Savannah would also be under LGPL license.

Now, about the library\'s purpose:

It already exists and you can download the latest distribution at
http://www.xrce.xerox.com/competencies/contextual-computing/vtm/

The VTM (Visual Transformation Machine) is a Zoomable User Interface toolkit
implemented in Java, designed to ease the task of creating complex visual
editors in which large amounts of objects have to be displayed, or which
contain complex geometrical shapes that need to be animated. It offers features
such as continuous zooming (2.5D environment), constrained interaction and
perceptual continuity in object animations and camera movements, which should
make the end-user\'s overall experience more pleasing.

On the programming side, the VTM features a graphical object model that makes
the task of creating, modifying and animating graphical entities easier, allows
the definition of custom shapes, all through a simple API. The VTM also
features smooth zooming capabilities (2.5D/zoomable user interface), multiple
independent layers inside a single viewport, multi-threaded views, and support
for exporting SVG documents.

It has been used for instance to develop IsaViz at W3C
(http://www.w3.org/2001/11/IsaViz/), a visual browser/editor for RDF that
represents models as zoomable 2D graphs.

Other Software Required:
It is written in Java and runs perfectly on free Java VMs.

Other Comments: