[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Zoomable Visual Transformation Mach

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Zoomable Visual Transformation Machine - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 23 Sep 2002 16:53:19 +0200

address@hidden said:

> Emmanuel Pietriga <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: lgpl
> Other License:
> Package: Zoomable Visual Transformation Machine
> System name: zvtm
> Type: non-GNU

> I would like to open a new project on the nongnu side of Savannah. This
> project will be the continuation of the already existing XVTM (Xerox Visual
> Transformation Machine), which is already distributed by Xerox under an LGPL
> license.
>
> I designed and implemented this library while working for Xerox and MIT/W3C.
> I will leave Xerox at the end of September 2002, and since I will continue to
> develop XVTM (I am going back to MIT where I will resume working for W3C), I
> need to be able to easily share the new code and also to allow other people
> to contribute code (the library is already used by 3rd parties ; for instance
> a university in Sweden).
>
> I have already discussed this with my Xerox manager, and he agrees with me
> that this is the best way to proceed. So the idea is to launch a new project
> based on the XVTM. As I said, XVTM is already distributed by Xerox under
> LGPL. The new project hosted by Savannah would also be under LGPL license.
>
> Now, about the library\'s purpose:
>
> It already exists and you can download the latest distribution at
> http://www.xrce.xerox.com/competencies/contextual-computing/vtm/
>
> The VTM (Visual Transformation Machine) is a Zoomable User Interface toolkit
> implemented in Java, designed to ease the task of creating complex visual
> editors in which large amounts of objects have to be displayed, or which
> contain complex geometrical shapes that need to be animated. It offers
> features such as continuous zooming (2.5D environment), constrained
> interaction and perceptual continuity in object animations and camera
> movements, which should make the end-user\'s overall experience more pleasing.
>
> On the programming side, the VTM features a graphical object model that makes
> the task of creating, modifying and animating graphical entities easier,
> allows the definition of custom shapes, all through a simple API. The VTM
> also features smooth zooming capabilities (2.5D/zoomable user interface),
> multiple independent layers inside a single viewport, multi-threaded views,
> and support for exporting SVG documents.
>
> It has been used for instance to develop IsaViz at W3C
> (http://www.w3.org/2001/11/IsaViz/), a visual browser/editor for RDF that
> represents models as zoomable 2D graphs.
>
> Other Software Required:
> It is written in Java and runs perfectly on free Java VMs.

By free, do you mean free as in freedom or free as beer?

At
http://www.xrce.xerox.com/competencies/contextual-computing/vtm/download.html
we can read
"Note: Java 1.3.0 or later is required to run VTM applications, but
Java 1.4.0 is strongly recommended. A JDK 1.4.0 or later is required
to compile it."

The key question here is to figure out if your project
can run on a Free Software Java suite
(see http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more
information). Could you give us some explanation about
this point?

Could you resubmit your project once it's done?
You can resubmit your project with ease by copying
the big re-registration URL provided in the mail
you received  at submission

Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<