[Savannah-hackers] submission of Virtual Email web based administration

From: jama
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Virtual Email web based administration - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:56:01 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Jama Poulsen <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Virtual Email web based administration
System name: vemail
Type: GNU

My project aim is to create a web based interface (based on Perl/CGI
and in the future maybe FastCGI/C++) for the administration of user accounts in
LDAP for use in a virtual
mail system.

The mail system components will be:
 - Postfix
 - Courier-IMAP
 - OpenLDAP
 - any CGI capable web server (preferably with TLS support).

Currently I\'m using Jamm (http://jamm.sf.net) for the purpose mentioned above,
but there are several reasons why I want create my own virtual email system web
interface:

o Jamm requires Java and Apache/Tomcat (a Java servlet engine.
  This makes for a bloated, partly non-free middle layer, of which
  the user of the web interface doesn\'t see much benefits.
  The installation of the Java run-time environment and Tomcat is also
  more trouble than it is worth for the system administrator.
  Sometimes people wan\'t to use web servers other than Apache (like eg. Boa).

o Jamm is incomplete currently, and development is going somewhat slow.You
can\'t delete a virtual domain or a virtual user yet. Jamm   doesn\'t  send out
emails via Postfix so that the Maildir directories are setup, so the user can
immediately log-in after the creation of a new account.Jamm doesn\'t even
register full names (CN) in LDAP yet. Jamm also doesn\'t provide a way to
specify a mailbox server per user, which is needed if you wan\'t to make a
large scale email system.

Some general implementation comments:

o I want to create a (virtual) debian package which sets up all  packages and
their (template) configuration in an easy manneri, which is almost ready for
use.

o I\'m going to use the Perl CGI, net-ldap and cookie modules. I have
experience in Perl/CGI programming. In the future I might want to experiment
with a FastCGI/C++ rewrite.

Other Software Required:
 - Postfix (with LDAP functionality)
 - Courier-IMAP (with LDAP functionality)
 - OpenLDAP
 - any CGI capable web server.

Other Comments:
About me (Jama Poulsen):

I\'m webmaster of http://debianlinux.net and I\'m a co-developer on the
Posadis DNS server project (http://posadis.org).

The Posadis project is currently hosted on SourceForge, but if I like
savannah a lot, I might convince the other Posadis developer that we
should develop on savannah, since sourceforge is becoming more and more
intrusive (I think).

Regards.