[Savannah-hackers] submission of FiNE - secure anonymous p2p Filesharing

From: hepps
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of FiNE - secure anonymous p2p Filesharing NEtwork - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:01:20 -0400

A package was submitted to savannah.gnu.org

Stephan Hepper <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: GNU Free Documentation License
Package: FiNE - secure anonymous p2p Filesharing NEtwork
System name: fine
Type: GNU

Sharing files is one of the fastes growing services on the internet.
Nearly everybody has a Kazaa, GNUtella or eDonkey2000 client in use. And we all
like to share our {\\sl free and legal} content over the net.
Some big and wealthy firms don\'t like these sources of exchange. They think
there is too much illegal stuff on the air and that would cut of their profit.
May be - May be not...
I don\'t know, but in fact these firms attack the operators of Napster, Kazaa
or GNUtella. Like Napster more and more of our loved file sharing networks
become unusable because of the sabotage of these enterprises. They sue the
developers of these networks and make all involved users equal with the
criminal individuals that use these services for illegal operations, e.g.
sharing the newest movies or music. Of course, these persons violate the rights
of the mental owners of such files, so they are the real enemies of these
networks.
But what about us?
We do not want to exchange protected music, movies or software over these nets.
So what could be done to solve this problem?
We need a new better Network. We need a place of exchange, where we all can be
sure that nobody is able to attack or sabotate us.
What does our new network has to carry out?
- High availability.
- Complete decentralized structures - no server, no supernodes.
- Strong traffic encryption, maybe encrypted tunnels between the single nodes.
- Complete anonymity of the single users, no matter if they are searching,
uploading or downloading.
- Open Source and Public Domain for all of it\'s parts.
- The client must be available for nearly all system architectures and
operating systems.
- Simple to use client software.
- Last, but not least. Democratic monitoring and controlling of the shared
contents.

It does not exist yet but we are working on it and your help is wanted.
You can get additional infos at http://www.brauchbar.org

Other Software Required:
You\'ll need a bios and an os installed.

Other Comments: