[Savannah-hackers] submission of Camelot - savannah.nongnu.org

From: jerome
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Camelot - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:33:20 -0400

Jérôme Marant <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Camelot
System name: camelot
Type: non-GNU

The aim of the projet is to create various OCaml
libraries and tools for games we want to develop,
which are:
- a \'Flashback\'/\'Another World\'-like polygon-based
2D game,
- Bladur\'s Gate-like game with a plugable game
engine.

We intend to develop libraries, editors and games will
be started the sooner as possible when we get the
necessary bases.

This aim of the project is neither to code something like
Crystalspace nor Nel: we are currently not interested
in Quake-like games although we want to use 3D technologies
like OpenGL.

We intend to use Objective Caml for many reasons:

- OCaml is a high level langage so it is the ideal choice
for game scripting: we do not need to provide a new scripting
langage for describing our scenes.
- OCaml makes it fast to develop programs since there is
no need for memory management, and one can manipulate
high level structures. It is also a strongly typed language
that make easier to debug a program.
- OCaml can compile to machine code which is very fast
so we don\'t need a lower level language like C or C++.
It also support Object Orientation.

http://caml.inria.fr

We intend to use SDL and OpenGL technologies which have
already OCaml bindings:

http://sf.net/projects/ocamlsdl
http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/soft/olabl/lablgl.html

We think that OCaml is a language of choice for such
applications.

Other Software Required:

Other Comments: