[Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS Write Access When Adding A User

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: CVS Write Access When Adding A User
Date: 25 Oct 2002 17:21:24 +0200

Derek Neighbors <address@hidden> said:

> > > Certainly.  I am amazed that bigger projects give CVS write access to
> > > anyone participating in their project.
> >
> > CVS log every commits. So it's very easy to see who does what and
> > when. So it does not seems so amazing to me.
>
> This is a reactive approach, which is bad for quality control.  However,
> that is not what is at debate here.

What is at debate here?

> > > I am not hell bent on it, but it would make contributors of our
> > > project happy.
> >
> > The only purpose of adding thoses members to the project list is to
> > make them feeling happy?
> >
> > Why not adding a CREDITS file? It's probably better.
>
> We will put a contributors page on our website.

Understand that I'm not against the idea of adding new features. It
would be surely better to permits admins to choose which
project's member can write to the CVS tree.

Anyway, it does not seem to me one of the things important to improve
for now.

It's maybe a « reactive approach » but I'm very very doubtfull about
the fact that someone can hurt a project development using his CVS
write rights.
When someone is member of a project, will he do commits on the tree
without talking about it with the others projects members?
Also, if someone do a commit, it appears on the ChangeLog (and on the list
$project-cvs if existing), so it's easy to track who've done and and
who is writing to the CVS tree without having talked about it.

Also, ready you, it cames to my mind that adding this people to the
member list, without any rights on the projects, was some kind of
credits. And I personal don't get it. If this people just sends
patches, they do not need to be added to the projects members. It
makes more sense to use the term "contributors".

That's why I do not consider this as a top priority. But that's my
point of view. There's maybe someone that consider this as a top
priority and want to implement it directly.

--
Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<