Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Software developped by Linux User G

From: Jaime E . Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Software developped by Linux User Group - savannah.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:35:57 +0000

I'm afraid some of the software you propose to upload in this project falls
beyond the scope of Savannah and cannot be hosted here: if I'm not mistaken,
the utilities for Texas Instruments calculator will require TI's native
calculator operating system which is proprietary; even though the utilities
you've created are 100% Free Software, users of 100% Free systems (such as
Debian GNU/Linux) cannot use them unless they buy proprietary software, which
is something we do not want to encourage.

The php-nuke-like application over JSP would also have to run on a free
software java platform (see http://www.gnu.org/software/java/), i.e. it can
not depend on proprietary products such as JDK.

If you can make versions of your projects that will run in a completely free
software platform (for instance if the TI utilities can also be compiled in a
Debian GNU/Linux system) then it is OK to host them here and you can provide
both the proprietary-independent and proprietary-dependent versions.

I suggest that you break your project into different projects to submit them
to Savannah, and in each case explain clearly their dependences to allow us to
verify that they can be used by Savannah users who do not use any proprietary
products.

Regards,
Jaime