[Savannah-hackers] Re: Problem with Apple Project Builder and your CVS

From: Mathieu Godart
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Problem with Apple Project Builder and your CVS
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 01:19:14 +0100

Le dimanche, 9 fév 2003, à 00:23 Europe/Paris, Samuel Tardieu a écrit :

On  9/02, Mathieu Godart wrote:

[...]

| So, when I launch my Terminal, it asks me my pass-phrase. Then, all
| works, I can add and commit files without any problem.
|
| But on Project Builder, the status check goes wrong. This is what i got
| on the console:

[...]

I can see two obvious possibilities for such a failure:

1) ProjectBuilder does not inherit your environment, and cvs tries to call
     rsh instead of ssh

The first problem seems to be mine because I already set up a ssh-agent. When I launch PB from the Finder (the file browser of Mac OS X), the environment variables are not passed to him.

I finally understood how to pass the variables to the program. The good way is to launch a Terminal window, (in my case it launch ssh-agent ask my pass-phrase with this:
set exec_file=~/.ssh/agent_exec
ssh-agent > $exec_file
chmod +x $exec_file
source $exec_file
ssh-add
) and to launch the Project Builder application directly from there with the Apple command 'open'. Then the application receives the proper variables and become able to access to the ssh-agen.

There wasn't anything in the PB help, except that 'everything is automatic.' Nice, except when it doesn't work at all!

2) ProjectBuilder does not know how to request a password from the user

The second possibility is the one with the highest probability. You should try to setup a ssh-agent on your machine, so that you don't have to type your passphrase. Look at http://www.withay.com/macosx/ssh-agent-jag.html
for instructions on how to do this.

Thanks for your help!
Mathieu Godart

PS: It could be interesting to add it to the savannah FAQ. I finally found a good page : http://voronoi.ics.uci.edu/~mshafae/cgl/info/projectbuilder-cvs-ssh.html