Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: PHP4 license

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: PHP4 license
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:40:31 -0800 (PST)

--- Hugo Gayosso <address@hidden> wrote:

> James Michael DuPont <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am confused!
> >
> > Is it possible to make a GPL'ed PHP4 software and distribute it?
> > Does the not depend on the Zend API?
> >
> > Is it possible to make a non-free plugin for a GPL'ed PHP4?
> >
> > Where does linking occur? Can I prevent non-free software from
> using a
> > GPLEd with a strong dependency?
> >
> > What about SQL database, can I prevent non-free software from using
> the
> > database of a GPled application?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > mike
>
> [...]
>
> Hello Mike!
>
> I will suggest two things:
>
> 1) Take a look at:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
>
> 2) Send your licensing questions to:
> address@hidden
>
> They are better prepared to deal with those kind of questions than us
> (at least me).
>

> P.S.
>   As some of your questions are PHP4-specific, maybe asking some
> folks
>   at the PHP4 mailing list would be useful too.

Ok, Thank you for your advice. I have followed this and am in contact
already with the FSF about this isssue.

I was asking a general question, but the relevance is really to the
Savannah project.

There are some (let them remain unnamed) people trying to paint the
GPLEd Sourceforge code with
an LGPL coat of paint, so the that they may link in non-free software
into the distribution, or even sell non-free additions to the code.

My question is really directed towards that activitity and in specific,

can a user make a non-free php plug in and distributed specific querys
about the sf database structure, and still remain separate?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/