[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of ourproject.org free projects tool

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of ourproject.org free projects tool devel - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 17 Feb 2003 10:32:52 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Vicente Ruiz <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: ourproject.org free projects tool devel
> System name: ourproject-d
> Type: non-GNU

> An extract of our Manifesto:
> \"The idea behind the ourproject.org  initiative is for it to be a tool which
> encourages the cooperative work effort of all types of people from every part
> of the world, promoting the coming together of people and the exchange of
> ideas and solutions to problems, with the condition that the results of the
> projects will remain freely accessible  to whoever may find them useful,
> within this tool.
>
> The ourproject.org initiative will also be a place to find, or at least look
> for, solutions, ideas and other people with the same interests.
>
> We are concerned with translating to other fields of society the philosophy
> which has been developing over these past years around two computing
> concepts: Free Software and Open Source. Because of this, ourproject.org does
> no intend to create a new philosophy, but instead use an already existing and
> highly successful philosophy.
> (...)
>  As a result of the discussion, ourproject.org  would drift off to the
> creation of a discussion and project management tool so that people not
> familiarized with computing would find it easy-to-use. This tool would make
> available to each individual project, among other things, web space, forums,
> news, e-mail addresses and lists, and a place where to keep project´s
> documentation.
> (...)
> This manifesto is inspirated parcially in the works of the Free Software
> Foundation (FSF), the Open Source Inicative (OSI) and the descentralized work
> in solitary or in groups of many other people.\"
>
> For more information http://ourproject.org
>
> Now we have working an adaptation of debian-sf for any kind of free project
> (not free software), and we want to share these initials modifications and to
> improve the tool inside Savannah.

Why not working directly on debian-sf or Savannah?

> Actually modifications can be founded provisionally in:
> http://ourproject.org/ourproject-dev-0.0-1.tar.gz

In some files, License information is incomplete.

In order to release your project under the GPL you
should write copyright notices and copying permission
statements at the beginning of every source-code file, and
include a copy of the plain text version of the GPL
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt). Copy it for instance
into a file named COPYING.

Please follow the advice of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

The GPL FAQ can also help you understand the reason behind
thoses recommendations. For example, there is an entry explaining
why the GPL requires including a copy of the GPL with
every copy of the program:
 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude

> Other Software Required: The same like debian-sf, that is: apache,
> openldap, postgres, php, etc
>
> Other Comments:
> I suppose that this is a non-GNU project because debian-sf is
> non-GNU.

Please, read  carrefully
http://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=11&question=What_does_it_mean_to_become_a_GNU_package.txt

--