[Savannah-hackers] submission of Waves, Clouds, and Sand - savannah.non

From: planet10
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Waves, Clouds, and Sand - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:13:17 -0500

M.C. Lewis <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Waves, Clouds, and Sand
System name: oceanscene
Type: non-GNU

OpenGL-based research project for simulating natural phenomenae.  First plan is
ocean waves, then clouds, then terrain (sand).  Intend to use latest features
of 3D cards such as texture/fragment shaders, register combiners, and vertex
programs.  Development on GNU/Linux.

There are a few \"free\" issues here.  One is that the two video card
manufacturers which have extensive OpenGL functionality (ATI and NVidia) have
proprietary drivers, which load into the x86 Linux kernel, sometimes FreeBSD,
Windows (of course), and that\'s about it.  Unfortunately, no useful Free
drivers exist for this hardware.  Hopefully, by making advanced graphics
software that runs primarily on GNU/Linux and other free platforms, 3D on Linux
will stay current, so that we won\'t just be starting on 3D years down the road
when Free drivers become available.

Second, I may wish to make use of some software with free-looking, but
nonstandard, licensing.  E.g., GLVU:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~walk/software/glvu/
// GLVU : Copyright 1997 - 2002
//        The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute and sell this software and its
// documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that
// the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
// notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation.
// Binaries may be compiled with this software without any royalties or
// restrictions.
//
// The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill makes no representations
// about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided
// \"as is\" without express or implied warranty.

Also, OpenEXR:
http://www.openexr.net/

Which uses the modified BSD license:
http://www.ilm.com/opensource/ilm-bsd-lic.html

Since I will be using the GNU GPL for my software, I am not sure if I can
\"swallow\" some of the software, meaning release it under the GNU GPL if
compatible; or if I can only link against it.

Part of the issue is that there are numerous re-implementations of common items
like 3D vectors, matrices, etc.  They all essentially say the same thing; dot
products are simply math!  GLVU uses a vector basis camera; its LookAt()
function is virtually identical to the GLU (GL Utility library)\'s version
(http://mesa3d.org), except in C++.  I am quite confused as to copyright issues
on classes that simply implement straight math, where any implementation is
virtually indistinguishable from another, except for formatting!
Most of these classes need to be compiled into the program, not just linked,
because of inlined function speed.

Third, I have downloaded an extensive set of research papers describing
graphics techniques, some of which are hard to find; I am not sure how much of
these I can excerpt for tutorials on a technique.

Fourth, Intel has a very fast \"approximate math library\", which seems to be
under a rather onerous license.  They know how to write a faster sqrt(), seeing
as they made the chips.  Probably any independent implementation of some of
these functions using SSE2 would result in identical ASM code.
http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/devtools/

As an example of the usefulness of fast math in 3D, POVray doubled in speed
just from a better sqrt() on the Alpha:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/alpha/9601.1/0046.html

I\'m currently working through research papers; no code yet, but I will likely
be using a good deal of GLfx++, a GNU GPLed project at:

http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/~bg/software/GLfxpp.shtml

Other Software Required:
URLs given above; possibilities include:
GLVU
GLfx++
OpenEXR

Other Comments:
This is planned to be A (one of many) client for my other project, MOFO, hosted
here at Savannah.