[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Secure Mailing List - savannah.non

From: Eric Anderson
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:50:55 -0800

Oops, I left out something when cutting and pasting from our documents
into your web form:  The description field should begin with

"SML will be a mailing list management tool which provides the following
assurances (relative to a variety of specific threat models):"

Thus spake address@hidden (address@hidden):

> Eric W. Anderson <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: Secure Mailing List
> System name: sml
> Type: non-GNU

> Message Body Confidentiality:  No person not subscribed to a list
>  can read the contents of messages sent to that list.
>
> Message Body Intergrity:  It is assured that the contents of a
>   message as received by any list reader have not been altered since
>   the message was sent by the original author.
>
> Sender Anonymity:  A message sent to a list cannot be associated
>   with its original author.
>
> Trust Metrics:  In the case of an anonymous sender, some
>   universally accepted measure of the sender\'s reliability is added to
>   the message by SML.
>
> Receiver Anonymity:  The identities of list subscribers cannot be
>   determined
>
> Sender Authentication:  No message can be sent to the list by a
>   non-subscriber, nor with a falsified identity.
>
> Command Authentication:  SML can positively identify the issuer
>   of any command
>
> Command Privilege Verification:  No command shall be executed
>   unless the issuer is authorized to do so.
>
> Subscriber Access Control:  No person shall be able to become a
>   list subscriber without some form of approval by a list
>   administrator or list subscribers.
>
> DOS Resistance:  No person shall be able to prevent the proper
>   operation of the server.
>
> There is not currently any version of the source code in existence - our
> intention is that code and design documents will be hosted on Savannah from
> the outset.
>
> Other Software Required:
> We are considering using the symbolic expression parser from LANL\'s
> Clustermatic project.  Its license (see link below) appears X11-like in that
> it seems to allow the creation of derivative works without restriction,
> provided that their authorship notices remain intact.
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/supermon/Supermon/src/LICENSE?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> Other Comments:
> This is intended to serve as a complement to GNU Mailman:  We beleive that
> for mailing lists with stringent cryptographic and security requirements, the
> design goals differ enough from those of Mailman to justify a separate
> program.
>
> If you have any questions for us, the project team so far, please contact us.
>

> * In case you have to register your project again *
> Please be aware that if your registration does not fulfill all
> therequirements, the Savannah administrators may ask you to register your
> project again.
> You can use the following url to do a new registration starting
> with the values used in this registration process.
> Copy and paste AS ONE SINGLE URL the following content :
> ----RERegistration-URL-BEGIN-----
> [...]

 Eric W. Anderson                   E-Mail:  address@hidden
 Computer and Information Science /    -or:  address@hidden
 Advanced Network Technology Center  Phone:  (541)685-0159
 University of Oregon                 USPS:  CIS Department
                                             University of Oregon
                                             Eugene, OR 97403-1202
 http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~anderson/