[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Waves, Clouds, and Sand - savannah

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of Waves, Clouds, and Sand - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 26 Feb 2003 21:41:12 +0100

> > What you call pressuring is sticking to a policy far from being
> > new. The purpose of Savannah is explicitely detailled. If you want the
> > GNU project to work on convincing  particular companies, this is not
> > the right mailing-list.
>
> Perhaps I'm confused because of your gnu.org e-mail address.  I assumed
> Savannah was run on behalf of the GNU project.
>
> So I assumed that I was communicating with someone who has influence with
> Savannah, and (to some degree) GNU.  Since you started e-mailing me, I
> assumed that you would be a good sounding board to see if I could convince
> a strict Free Software advocate that cutting-edge free 3D games could also
> help the state of free 3D drivers.
>
> (Of course, it turns out you use proprietary drivers on Windows to play
> 3D games, but hey...)

If you want to discuss about Savannah, Savannah maintainers and
Savannah mailing list is a good starting point.

If you want to discuss about the GNU project position on non free
drivers, this is not a good starting point.

Aside from that, I do not care about your judgment on my involvement
in free software. I stick to GNU policy in anytime I contribute to
software development, and that's what matters for me. If I take my
bike for a run outside, it does not help free software - and it has
nothing to do with : consider my remark about 3d games that way.
Anyway, I do not want to discuss about persons but about ideas.

> > Finally, your problem is not specific with the Savannah position
> > but with the GNU project position. You should write your concern
> > to address@hidden instead.
>
> Savannah is the host, so that's the first step.  I assumed you had a
> certain amount of discretion.  Since you already disagree with my
> position, does it matter if I talk to GNU?  Would even a signed, stamped
> letter from RMS change your mind?
>
> Anyway, I don't have a problem with the FSF's viewpoint, or I wouldn't
> write free software.
>
> I don't know what's going on right now, maybe the FSF is already talking
> to NVidia and ATI.

I do not either. The GNU Project is vast, Savannah is only one
project.

We disagree, but maybe other people at GNU will agree with you.

If you convince RMS, the Savannah policy will surely change, as he
clearly leads the GNU Project.

Even if you do not convince him, it may be a way to raise the issue of 3d
drivers.

--
Mathieu Roy