[Savannah-hackers] Re: About your homepage

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: About your homepage
Date: 27 Feb 2003 15:19:06 +0100

Vicente Ruiz <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Hi again,
>
> Let's suppose that Free Software doesn't exist. People write books about
> Computer Science, and make quotes about other works, etc.
> With your arguments, is computer science and related technology free
> without Free Software?

Software is particular as a "binary state" exists.

> Do you think that technology is open freely to everybody?  Is free
> ours ancestors knowledge? And patents? And pharmacology? etc

In Pharmacology, a "binary state" exists too.
In fact, it's mainly in "technology" that the freedom problem exists
clearly.

> Do you think that everybody can contribute in any technology
> research project (like anybody can contribute in Free Software)?

No. I, free software, few knowledge is usefull to help. But it's maybe
because computing is pretty new and we didn't reach a too high level
of complexity to do something  usefull.

You cannot practice medecine, for instance, in that way. You cannot
write down a good article of sociology without deep knowlegde in that
area. Technically, only few people can do that. That's why
universities exists.

> What do you prefer ten books writed by one or two autors or one or
> to books writed by many people with the same interest or problems
> and with the comments of many other persons (like a HOWTO)?

Collectives books exists already in social sciences.

The problem in social sciences is the fact that in many countries few
editors accept to publish the work done, prefering publishing
tons of boring vulgarization.

It's not a freedom issue but a publication issue.

> For example, I'm interested in collaborate in a free architecture
> (housing) project. Do you know if exists some project like this
> already?  I don't find nothing similar. I think that innovation in
> architecture focus in bussiness and don't think in normal people or
> enviroment and them problems.

The fact is architectura reached a high level of complexity. You
cannot make your plans and build your home: a commission have to study
if you do not put yourself and others persons in danger.

> A notice of 2002-12-22:
> http://ourproject.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=14
> http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/ Why this site don't exist
> already? Business, business, business...

I agree, there's a publication issue.

> Finally, why Free Software collaborative philosophy must be only for
> Software? We have the tools (Free Software) and the medium
> (Internet) to make the philosopy available to other matters.

I personally think that this freedom already exists. I do not
understand free software philosophy as an innovation in general but
the application of the freedom existing in others field to computing.

According to Richard Stallman, it's not in itself an innovation, as he
consider that softwares we're done in that way in the seventies.

> Vicente
> PD: Again sorry for my English...

You do not have to apologize for your English, mine is far from
perfection - finally, the important point is the ability to
communicate.

Cheers,

--
Mathieu Roy