[Savannah-hackers] submission of Brian - savannah.nongnu.org

From: gerrit
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Brian - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 10:22:30 -0500

Gerrit Holl <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Brian
System name: brian
Type: non-GNU

Brian is a jump-and-run platform game. It is written in the Python
programming language[0], using the Pygame library[1] (on top of SDL[2])
and probably the Pygsear[3] library. Although it will be an independant
project, it will be heavily inspired by Commander Keen[4]. It will be
written using a Linux workstation, but it should be crossplatform for
all major platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac). It is called Brian after
\"Monty Python\'s Life of Brian\", and the game may contain some references.

There are currently no satisfying jump-and-run platform games available
under a free license for Linux. Tower Toppler[5] is nice but very small.
Pyplatform[6] is very monolithic (contains no classes/functions, just one
big chunk of code). I will try to design Brian as a very portable,
modular game. Parts of it may be released as a platform gaming library.

[0] http://www.python.org/
[1] http://pygame.org/
[2] http://www.libsdl.org/
[3] http://www.nongnu.org/pygsear/
[4] http://www.3drealms.com/keen4/index.html
[5] http://toppler.sourceforge.net/

Preliminary (not-working) source-code can be found here:
http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/brian/

Other Software Required:
Python 2.3, Pygame 1.5.5, SDL 1.2.
Maybe in the future: Pygsear. (see description for links)

Other Comments:
I have sumbitted this earlier. I was told by Jaime E . Villate to comply to
some requirements for applying GPL to software; I now did. The rest didn\'t
change.