Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: assigning bugs to someone without giving him

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: assigning bugs to someone without giving him cvs commit rights
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:37:45 +1000

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 08:29 am, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 06:10:16PM +0100, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> > I'll volunteer to add the feature that we need.  Does this help?
>
> That is an option.
>
> Also an option is to let him checkout the sources anonymously, and let
> him send patches.  This is the way to do it imho.

Without a way to prevent him from checking in, I guarantee you that he will,
even if we ask him to use anonymous access, and even if he agreed to do so.
It would only be about a week before he would ignore his agreement and start
committing without permission.  And then I'll wake up the next morning to
find the code in an absolute mess, from which even CVS roll-backs will
probably never fully recover.

We cannot add him as a developer unless CVS access can be throttled.  He is
extremely self-absorbed, to the exclusion of prudent development behaviour
when working in a team.  I wouldn't put it past him to be using access to the
bug database as a ploy to get CVS access.

If it isn't possible, then it isn't possible.  But if there is anything we can
do to help, Norbert and I would be willing to do so.

Cheers,

Rhys.