[Savannah-hackers] Re: assigning bugs to someone without giving him cvs

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: assigning bugs to someone without giving him cvs commit rights
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:10:16 +0100 (CET)

Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> replied:

> We discussed this issue some time ago. It's not on the top-priority
> list, as we (I, in fact) technically consider this issue as harmless.

It's not harmless for DotGNU (specifically, the concerned project is
dotgnu-pnet).  We have a German high school student who wants some
bugs fixed related to obscure forms of interaction between DotGNU and
Microsoft's .NET which quite possibly no one besides him will
ever care about.  He's willing and able to fix these bugs (he's
a very gifted hacker, even though he's very immature in the area
of collaboration and teamwork skills) and he's creating a big public
public problem over the matter.  He says (and IMO with good reason)
that these bugs should be assigned to him in the bug tracker (instead
of closed them unfixed, which is the only way of resolving his bug
reports that we currently have at our disposal).  However giving him
CVS commit rights is totally out of the question for Rhys Weatherley,
the maintainer of dotgnu-pnet. (I agree with him that that is the right
decision.  The dotgnu-pnet cvs repository currently has a very high
level of code maturity, and we need a way to keep it that way without
wasting too much time.)

> Harmless because:
>         - you can track easily commits being done (ChangeLog, mail on
> commit...)
>         - you can easily check what have been done
>         - you can easily undo what someone would have done.

That's not good enough for this guy.  He has so much time on his hands
and he's so fast that it's almost impossible to keep up with him.  He
has, with the best intentions, wasted a *lot* of time of a lot of good
people (including RMS) already.

> tracker, you should trust him about the CVS - I never heard about
> someone who commited on a CVS without talking with projects members

He'll talk, he'll send email, lots of it.  Figuring out what he's
talking about is often difficult though.  (RMS has asked me for help
with this seveal times).

> So... sorry,

I'll volunteer to add the feature that we need.  Does this help?

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Tel +41 1 972 20 59        Fax +41 1 972 20 69       http://norbert.ch