[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gin (GPL Insert) - savannah.nongnu

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gin (GPL Insert) - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 29 Mar 2003 21:38:03 +0100

address@hidden said:

> Alex Sisson <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: gpl
> Other License:
> Package: gin (GPL Insert)
> System name: gin
> Type: non-GNU

> A command line utility to insert the \'gnu copyright permission statement\'
> as a comment at the start of the specified files.
>
> It supports various options for the statement, allowing for a project name,
> normal GPL or lesser/library GPL
>
> It currently has crude template support, to allow users to include various
> custom parts to the statement such as their name, date, cvs tags and so on. I
> intend to add \'placeholder\' support to the template, allowing users to do
> things such as $FILE or $DATE to insert the filename of the current file, or
> the current date.
>
> It supports the commenting style of a variety of languages.
>
> It is currently hosted on sourceforge:
> http://gcpi.sourceforge.net
>
> Other Software Required:
>
> Other Comments:
> It was originally titled gcpi - \'Gnu Copyright Permission Inserter\', but
> this wasn\'t very catchy, and I came up with gin - \'Gnu Insert\'.
> Then I thought it would be better hosted on savannah because of the obvious
> gnu connection.
> However, this goes against gnu policy for non-gnu programs, so, on a previous
> submission effort Jaime E. Villate recommended \'GPL Insert\'.
>
> Speaking of my previous submission effort, the approval was allocated to
> Mathieu Roy. However, I never received emails from him (I only recently read
> his emails on the savannah web-based email archive).
> As such, I didn\'t quite know what was going on. If I had, I wouldve
> resubmitted earlier.
>
> It was possible that my email provider was the problem (a free shell account
> called cyberspace.org). I have now changed my savannah email address, so
> hopefully this will now be ok.

I hope too. Usually when I received a mailer-daemon error that seem
related to my own system (rare, with some stupid anti-spam policies),
I ask to other savannah hackers to try to send my messge.

> The mail web archive also showed that Mathieu asked me if it was
> mature enough, for you to give a link to it for submissions that
> have no copyright comment. (see
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-01/msg00536.html). In
> answer to that question. Yes it is mature enough for that, but no,
> it doesnt not support mBSD. I would look into this.

As it work with GPL and LGPL, which are the licences we promote, I
think we could already give an link to your project.

However, there is a major problem that need to be fixed before, IMHO:
it does not force users to specify a copyright holder (2003 this mail
<thismail>).

Another bug, minor this one, is the fact that the sheebang
(#!/usr/bin/perl) is not escaped to remain on the very top of the
message.

Aside from this bug, it would be greate if gin was able to determine
which comment file is appropriate.

For instance, if I do
        gin file.pl
gin should be able to pick "shellscript/perl # comments".
The -#, -c should be provided to force a selection.

Finally, gin would be able to deal with a complete directory:
        gin `find . ! -type d`
He would pick the correct style and do nothing with undetermined
files.

What do you think?

Please, tell us when the 2 bugs (copyright missing, sheebang), at this
moment we'll provide a link.

> I have not submitted for gnu project assessment, because I think there are
> various gnu standards that it fails to meet. However, I would like to submit
> it for the gnu project at a later date.

No problem.

--
Mathieu Roy