[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gin (GPL Insert) - savannah.nongnu

From: Alex Sisson
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of gin (GPL Insert) - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:32:01 -0500 (EST)

Hi

> > Speaking of my previous submission effort, the approval was allocated to
> > Mathieu Roy. However, I never received emails from him (I only recently
> > read his emails on the savannah web-based email archive).
> > As such, I didn\'t quite know what was going on. If I had, I wouldve
> > resubmitted earlier.
> >
> > It was possible that my email provider was the problem (a free shell
> > account called cyberspace.org). I have now changed my savannah email
> > address, so hopefully this will now be ok.
>
> I hope too. Usually when I received a mailer-daemon error that seem
> related to my own system (rare, with some stupid anti-spam policies),
> I ask to other savannah hackers to try to send my messge.

Well, I received this mail ok at least :-)

> > The mail web archive also showed that Mathieu asked me if it was
> > mature enough, for you to give a link to it for submissions that
> > have no copyright comment. (see
> > http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-01/msg00536.html). In
> > answer to that question. Yes it is mature enough for that, but no,
> > it doesnt not support mBSD. I would look into this.
>
> As it work with GPL and LGPL, which are the licences we promote, I
> think we could already give an link to your project.
>
> However, there is a major problem that need to be fixed before, IMHO:
> it does not force users to specify a copyright holder (2003 this mail
> <thismail>).

Ok, good point. I'll look into it :)

> Another bug, minor this one, is the fact that the sheebang
> (#!/usr/bin/perl) is not escaped to remain on the very top of the
> message.
I'd say thats quite a serious bug. noted.

> Aside from this bug, it would be greate if gin was able to determine
> which comment file is appropriate.
>
> For instance, if I do
>         gin file.pl
> gin should be able to pick "shellscript/perl # comments".
> The -#, -c should be provided to force a selection.

This did occur to me, and I can't remember why I decided against this.
It is a good idea though.

> Finally, gin would be able to deal with a complete directory:
>         gin `find . ! -type d`
> He would pick the correct style and do nothing with undetermined
> files.
>
> What do you think?
Yes, perhaps with a user prompting option for cautious users.

> Please, tell us when the 2 bugs (copyright missing, sheebang), at this
> moment we'll provide a link.

Will do.
Although it won't be immediate :(
(I have recently started a job and relocated, and have no net access on my
linux box, which hinders my developing..but i'll sort something out ).

> > I have not submitted for gnu project assessment, because I think there are
> > various gnu standards that it fails to meet. However, I would like to
> > submit it for the gnu project at a later date.
>
> No problem.
>

> --
> Mathieu Roy
>
>  << Profile  << http://savannah.gnu.org/users/yeupou <<