[Savannah-hackers] Re: Invalid URL in registration response

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Invalid URL in registration response
Date: 13 May 2003 17:30:02 +0200

<pcg( Marc)@goof(A.).(Lehmann )com> said:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:42:06AM -0400, Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Could you explain again please.  I don't understand what you mean.
>
> NP, I'll try it differently:
>
> 1. The mail one gets sent after registering claims to contain a URL
>    that helps on re-registration.
>
> 2. That URL is supposed to be between the
>    "----RERegistration-URL-BEGIN-----" and END lines.
>
> 3. However, between these lines there is not a single URL, but
>    "short URL" + "lots of garbage"
>
> 4. The "short URL" does not really help in re-registration.

It does for a lot of people. If it does not for you, do not use it. It
an extra, not a real feature.

> 5. The "short URL" + "lots of garbage" is not generally accepted by
> browsers, since it is not a valid URL. If it is accepted, it might
> result in undefined behaviour, since interpreting something that is
> not a valid URL is up to the browser.

It's not short URL + lots of garbage, is short URL + ?value= your
previous description (what you call lots of garbage)

> 6. Either the mail-sending-script should be changed to generate
> valid URLs, _or_ it shouldn't be claimed that a URL is following,
> since that is confusing to users. If, what is between the
> RERegistration lines, actually works with some browsers then it
> would be better to specify these.

It something you normally can use. But the correct method to register
a project on Savannah is to read carefully everything explained during
the registration process.
This is a claim that a wonderful URL is following, this is a little
help for people who failed to register their project in first place.

> URL, but there isn't one (at least not a working one). _Something_
> should be fixed: Either the text, or the URL.

Technically, there is a URL.

The url works.
And with many free software browser, variables included along this url
are correctly interpreted. And if it's not the case, you just have to
rewrite information. The registration process still works
completely. The URL is still working.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: