[Savannah-hackers] submission of PD w log - web log (forum/guestbook/etc

From: jmiller
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of PD w log - web log (forum/guestbook/etc) - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:33:41 -0400

Josh Miller <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: PD w log - web log (forum/guestbook/etc)
System name: pdwlog
Type: non-GNU

No code available yet.

While searching for forum software, I couldn't find any I liked (or trusted).
One I liked, the author openly admitted to not using "use strict" or "my"
variables cause he wasn't as knowledgable as he'd like to be about doing things
the "right way".
Another looked great, but was horibly complex, and built it's own template
system.
Another was extremely simple, and written very well, but would take significant
work to get it to the point I wanted it at.

On top of all that, I had already written my own authentication software (based
off of the features I liked from several other modules), and had already
standardized my work on mod_perl and HTML::Template.

So, now I want to write my own, and that's what this project is about.

Other Software Required:
HTML::Template (perl module)
http://search.cpan.org/author/SAMTREGAR/HTML-Template-2.6/

Other Comments:
Planned Feature List:
Use auth_dns.pm for authentication / login stuff.
Design as a completely separate piece of software from public-dns.org so it can
be distributed on it's own.
Utilize HTML::Template for all output text.
(possibly) Store all hardcoded text strings in database table tagged with a
language, so that we can support multiple languages.
Sort types: (threaded or flat) : by subject, by date, by author
    colapsable threads (checkbox to enable)
Tag every message with private/public flag. Submitting user should be able to
see their messages regardless of flag. This will let us block messages from
public display, and moderate the board while still giving feedback/impression
of an instantly posted message to the user.
Show thread on every message display
    it'd be fairly easy to only display one message at a time, and display
    the thread list at the top of the message. However, I really like
    the way deja.com (groups.google.com) does it (thread in left frame,
    linkes (#name HREF's)).
Have a flag to enable or disable anonymous postings
Hide user's e-mail from display. Allow them to enter any name they want for the
display.
Place all configuration in external file.
Keep database stuff abstract enough it will (or should) work with any DBD driver
Allow people w/ logins to modify posts they make.
Log message modifications so we can track origonal messages
Allow people in admin group to modify or delete any post.
Add a "Save Thread" link to save entire thread of messages as one text file.
Turn all url's into anchors (links).
Flag all messages with a "groupid", identifying the "newsgroup" or whathaveyou,
so one script can support multiple boards.
Flag all messages with "email responces" to allow user to be e-mailed if there
is a responce... warn that it'll only work if they're logged in (only display
the option if they're logged in)
Allow admin's to blacklist hosts or users.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/