[Savannah-hackers] Java version of GNU uniits

From: Roman Redziejowski
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Java version of GNU uniits
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:35:06 +0200

Some time ago I sent you the message quoted below.  It seemed to have problems
caused by the size of  the attached package. The package can now be downloaded
from my web page http://home.swipnet.se/redz/roman/freesoft.htm.

Best regards -- Roman Redziejowski

------------------------------------
I wrote a Java version of a GNU program "units" written by Adrian Mariano and
would like to make it available to general public. After an exchange of e-mails
with Adrian, I decided the best way is to package it separately, including a
copy of the files that are common for both versions.

Following an advice from Nic Ferrier, I went through few steps of project
registration under Savannah, and found a requirement that the program should run
on free software. But, I developed and tested the program using SDK1.4.2 under
Windows XP, and have no possibility to test it otherwise. I attach the suggested
package so you can judge if it is suitable for a GNU project.

The "porting" of  "units" to Java is a test of my idea of rewriting various
useful programs in Java to exploit the "compile once -- run everywhere"
property. It turned out not as simple task as I thought, if I wanted to fully
exploit the object-orientation of Java, but I intend to give it another try.