[Savannah-hackers] submission of libspider - savannah.nongnu.org

From: thuhfreak
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of libspider - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:57:47 -0400

William Cahill <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License: Note: We intend to import the code, pending approval, lacking
Bretton's version, so there won't be any GPL issues.
Package: libspider
System name: libspider
Type: non-GNU

Libspider is a set of useful c++ classes made to ease in the production of
3d/2d games/programs.  The classes include plane, point, vector, polygon and
more.  Programmers seeking to write free games can use this library to speed up
development, by working on their game, instead of writing foundation classes.
The co-author, Matt, and I have used this library in all our game projects
since it became stable/fairly complete, and we have found that we can move
directly into game-specific code; So we hope others can find this library
useful in a similar manner.  While the code was made with games in mind
(particularly 3d, first person shooters), it can also be useful for other
immersive environments.  Again, while three dimensional-capable classes are
primarily used, it is a trivial task to make 2d games/programs as well.
Hopefully, this library can be used by more programmers, so we can get feedback
for new features or for modifications others would like.  We, in our grandious
delusions, hope that many developers will use the library, so free operating
systems can become a good platform for game making (thence cutting one of the
popular closed platform's large selling points).  Our library is focused
largely around organizing, maintaining, moving (including collision detection),
and drawing the primitives (points, planes, polygons, etc.).  More information,
like getting started with libspider, can be found at http://libspider.sf.net/.
Source is available with anonymous cvs with instructions at
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=73527, and tarballs at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=73527.  We should have a
new release available within a week. (see note below)

Note: the current tarball release contains code from the old bsptree faq,
written by Bretton Wade.  We contacted him about distributing his code, since
we couldn't find any licenses in the faq pertaining to the code, and he was
ambiguous as to whether he would allow it to be released under the GPL.
Initially, we had assumed that lacking a specific license would put his code
under public domain, but recently we have decided to explicitly make similar
code, and have it GPL'd.  So in 0.3.0 (current cvs too), we are removing his
code and writing similar code, so everything (to date) will have been written
by us (Matt and I) and available through the GPL.

Other Software Required:
I'm not sure if OpenGL and GLUT are available in a normal free os distribution
(pretty sure they are).  Those are the only dependancies we have, aside from
X11.

Other Comments:
We would like to support MacOSX/Darwin and Windows, if thats allowed by
savannah, but we don't intend to have any platform specific features, and
nothing that would require those OSes.  If we can start programmers to use
libspider on popular gaming platforms, then it is relatively easy to bring them
to Free OSes.

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/