[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of TrsWM - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of TrsWM - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:31:10 +0100

address@hidden a tapoté :

> Yaroslav Rastrigin <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
> License: other
> Other License: Short version, to save you from reading weird stuff below:
>
> do what you want to do with this code, whatever, whenever.
>
> You can use parts of it, or the whole project, put it under
>
> whatever license you want, use it commercially or entirely for your pleasure
> - no bounds, no strings attached. You can put your copyright on it, but then
> I'll either fork or abandon this project.
>
> Longer version, if you're curious:
>
> I strongly believe in the noosphere - pool of eternal knowledge, which
> contains answers on every question which was, is and will be asked. Richard
> Bach described it much more extensively and correctly in his novels ("One").
>
> Said so, I don't believe in (or, better, I can't understand true meaning of)
> the copyright system. I don't think about myself as an "author" or "inventor"
> or how people usually call those, who, in a process of solving problems,
> connect
>
> to this pool and grab the solution from there. And I can't claim my
> authorship on something that was already existing, and all I did was a
> conversion from one form (pure knowledge) to another (bitstream). So, you
> have at least as many rights on this code as I am.

I'm afraid that this license would probably have no ground in many
countries, and it could be in court easily considered as proprietary
software.

For instance, if someone uses your code, enhances it, and someone else
get this enhanced code, at a later point, the first one who enhanced
the code may make the claim that that second one had no right to use
that enhanced code and go for a trial.

So, I think that your idea described below cannot be succesful that
way. You cannot change a system just by pretending that this system
does not exist. Because it does, and if you do not take care of it, he
will take care of you.

At Savannah, we host only software that we are sure that can be mixed
with a GPL software with no risks at all. With your current licensing
policy, we cannot host it.

If you agree to take a license that have a legal ground, we would be
glad to host it.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |