[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of TrsWM - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of TrsWM - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:00:58 +0100

Yaroslav Rastrigin <address@hidden> a tapoté :

> Hi !
>> For instance, if someone uses your code, enhances it, and someone else
>> get this enhanced code, at a later point, the first one who enhanced
>> the code may make the claim that that second one had no right to use
>> that enhanced code and go for a trial.
> Well, IANAL :-)

IAFWTAM, but I found out via google.

>> So, I think that your idea described below cannot be succesful that
>> way. You cannot change a system just by pretending that this system
>> does not exist. Because it does, and if you do not take care of it, he
>> will take care of you.
> Hm. But lying to myself and to others by pretending that I'm abiding to
> already existing (however stupid) laws is worse IMHO.

I'm not sure to clearly understand this sentence. Can you elaborate?

>> At Savannah, we host only software that we are sure that can be mixed
>> with a GPL software with no risks at all. With your current licensing
>> policy, we cannot host it.
> Ok. I'll continue to host it on our company's server.
>>
>> If you agree to take a license that have a legal ground, we would be
>> glad to host it.
> Well, I don't want to restrict anybody from doing anything with this code.
> "Legal" licenses have restrictions in one field or another, so they are not
> an
> option.

- choosing a permissive license like the mBSD allows anybody to
  restrict anybody else from doing anything to this code
- choosing a restrictive license like the GPL allows anybody to do
  anything with this code as long as he does not restrict anybody else
  from doing anything to this code
- not choosing any license make the freedom of your software
  undertemined, which would be determined by a court in case of
  trouble, with unpredictable conclusion. De facto, doing anything to
  this can at a later point being restricted in many ways, but we
  still cannot tell
  I think this is the worse case, because you have no effective
  warranty about the freedom you want to provide.

Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |