[Savannah-hackers] submission of Python ODBC - savannah.nongnu.org

From: mardy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] submission of Python ODBC - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:56:06 -0500

Mardy <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: "Copyright 1991-1995 by Stichting Mathematisch Centrum,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

All Rights Reserved

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that
the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright
notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation, and that
the names of Stichting Mathematisch Centrum or CWI or Corporation for National
Research Initiatives or CNRI not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining
to distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.

While CWI is the initial source for this software, a modified version is made
available by the Corporation for National Research Initiatives (CNRI) at the
Internet address ftp://ftp.python.org.

STICHTING MATHEMATISCH CENTRUM AND CNRI DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO
THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS,
IN NO EVENT SHALL STICHTING MATHEMATISCH CENTRUM OR CNRI BE LIABLE FOR ANY
SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING
FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE
OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

"

This is the latest python license, which is claimed to be GPL-compatible.
Package: Python ODBC
System name: pyodbc2
Type: non-GNU

There are currently two ODBC modules for python; one of these is commercial,
while the other is free but works only in Windows (it is included in the
win32all package).

I've modified it to have it compile and work under Linux (with the unixODBC
package, but I guess even iODBC might be used), but I think the driver needs
many improvements and corrections, which I believe only a group of developers
can do; so I'm willing to open a project for it.

The original source code is at
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html

I haven't yet uploaded the modified version anywhere.

Other Software Required:
unixODBC or iODBC

Other Comments:
The project should be named "pyodbc", and not "pyodbc2"; I had tryed before to
register this project, but then I stopped the registration. Looks like the
registration process didn't free the name "pyodbc" .

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/