Re: [Savannah-hackers] License compatibility

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] License compatibility
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 23:24:23 +0100

Cheyenne wrote:

I'm  a  little  confused  about  some  licensing  issues.   My  project,
swtscore, has  been accepted on  savannah. This project,  released under
GPL, uses  SWT, released under CPL,  as GUI library. But  I've just seen
that            CPL            is            GPL            incompatible
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html).

Does that mean  that I will have  to change the license of  my program ?

CPL is a free license, that's why it was accepted on Savannah. However it is true that you cannot combine CPL 1.0 and GPL v2. It looks like this issue is more or less debated, maybe you could send some encouragements to the Eclipse and SWT people to update their licensing scheme to something GPL compatible, it would benefit everybody.

From here, you can either choose another toolkit (like GTK+), or relicense your project (CPL or BSD comes to mind). You'll have to contact us again to change the displayed licensed on your project page when you have made up your mind.

Regards,

Vincent